Sunday, April 27, 2008

The great (and sad) white hunter!

Living and making our Mongrel Socks at our home based workshop on the edge of the Tasmanian bush, we love and encourage native animals, birds, and reptiles to make their home with us. But lately we noticed diminishing numbers, and were hard pressed to work out why. After seeing a furry invader one night, it became clear. Feral cats on the prowl, killing and eating anything that moves. So after contacting the appropriate authorities, council, government etc, I found the only way to tackle this menace was to remove them myself. None offered any solutions, one even said poison! There is no way I'm gonna poison an animal, which I think is illegal anyway. So...off to the RSPCA, where I was loaned a trap. Within 3 minutes( I'm serious) I had on of these furry little tornado's, the spitting, scratching flea and tick ridden thing it was. Nothing cute about it. I took it to the Hobart Cat Centre, a place where they rehouse unwanted domestic cats. After talking to the kind woman at the Centre, she assured me I was doing just the right thing, but that sadly this cat and other ferals like it would never get a second chance, feral cats can't be re-housed they are all put down. Over the next few days I have caught 3 more, all taken to their death. It is clear I am catching a whole litter. These cats never stood a chance. So either the quick and painless death by the vet's needle or, so I'm told, the sad and cruel life of a feral. But I still feel bad and makes me so mad, that domestic cats are not spade as a matter of course (apart from registered breeders). If all female cats that aren't used for breeding purposes were spade for free by local councils we would find the feral cat population declining, not increasing like it is now.
I'm hoping the mother cat of this litter is going to fall for my trap, because otherwise in a couple of months I'll be doing this all again.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home